[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/fr mplayer.1,1.57,1.58

Nico n at tourmentine.com
Thu Oct 30 18:56:57 CET 2003

Le Jeudi 30 Octobre 2003 13:25, Torinthiel a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:42:34AM +0100, Nico wrote:
> > Le Mardi 28 Octobre 2003 23:22, Torinthiel a écrit :
> > > Did a little research on my own.
> > > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1996Sep/0098.html
> > > http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2000-January/001594.
> > >html http://accurapid.com/journal/03type.htm
> > >
> > > The last link is the most "official", but it has spaces only mentioned
> > > (near the end, look for 'type and language')
> > > Interesting bit is that the first 2 posts disagree about ;
> >
> > the first link talks about " quart cadratin insecable" witch mean "a
> > non-breaking space witch lenght is a quarter of the others characters".
> > But we can print only full-lenght spaces ;)
>
> Now the problem is should 1/4 of a space be rounded up or down ;)
>
> BTW found http://rondinet.free.fr/docs_fr_typo/fqblanc1.html where is a
> definition of caradin, but in French. And the only thing I understand
> from it is "En anglais, <I>em</I>." Which is exactly what is said as a
> response to the mail in the first link.

this page says that cadratins are only used in publishing; and the value of a
cadratin isn't even clearly defined: it is not the same for computer-based
publishing software and traditionnal typography.

> > in all links they talks about one non-breaking space before the mark, and
> > one normal space after.
>
> I didn't say no ;) Just your link was in a language I don't know, so I
> found some I can understand.

indeed

> > > Anyway, shouldn't it be '\ ' then?
> >
> > forgive my ignorance, but is this the coding for 'non-breaking space'?
> > in this case yes, i'll have to fix all spaces in the man page.
>
> On my system it's man 7 groff, about 2/3 of the file (along with many
> \char things). It was The best I could find (but I'm not a troff expert.
> Not even intermediate). There also is \~, it is inbreakable, but it
> streches like a normal space, so is wrong here.

is it "\space Unpaddable space-size space character (no line break)."?
ok then, i'll put this before ";" ":" "?" and "!".

> And please, not ALL spaces ;) Leave normal between words ;)

:-p

> Torinthiel
nico