[MPlayer-dev-eng] Flickering video when resizing

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Wed Jan 23 13:06:29 CET 2013

Nicolas George wrote on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 17:19:54 +0100:

> I am not sure it is possible to unset the background color once it has been
> set;

I tried this but didn't succeed, so I guess it isn't possible.

> setting a transparent background pixmap looks like an ugly hack.

This method turned out to be the fastest and easiest one.

> - Use a different window during playback: one with no background, while the
> normal one has its background;

I didn't try this, because this would have required major code changes.

> - Use a window without background, and when playback is not running, handle
> expose event to manually fill with a color.

Although this method looked very promising, it is (probably due to
XFillRectangle() and my aged PC) extremely slow.

After quite some tests I've decided to go with setting a transparent
background pixmap which even works with a compositing manager and transset-df
for me ... well, slower then, of course.

Ingo