[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Wed Jul 13 14:14:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:06:16PM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> On 13.07.2011 09:44, Steaphan Greene wrote:
>> On 07/13/2011 03:18 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
>> I generally prefer the dvd:// method too, just for better performance,
>> unless I need the menus to navigate more complex content (like getting
>> at a disc's special features).
>>
> for that, dvd://1-99 would also suffice, so you can emulate a "Play All"
> feature.
>
> dvdnav has the advantage that it works with copy protected DVDs that use
> deliberately erroneous bad sectors placed in the normal stream. dvdnav
> navigates around them via the cell commands, and dvd doesn't, leaving
> some DVDs unplayable.

Many DVDs with bad sectors play with dvd:// if the correct track is given
(e.g. dvd://3 for quite a lot of my DVDs). Often the movie track can be
identified by looking for the longest track on the DVD (-identify).

> I'd really like to see the dvdnav improved in that matter, i.e.
> - no hickup at chapter breaks,
> - playback of the remaining problematic DVDs
> - correct seeking: currently, with some DVDs seeking within a certain
> range always seeks to the same position: an example:

All of my problematic DVDs can be played with VLC, therefore dvdnav://
improvements seem possible -- though I don't know enough to do this myself.

Regards,
Erik