[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Jul 13 12:06:16 CEST 2011

On 13.07.2011 09:44, Steaphan Greene wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 03:18 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> I generally prefer the dvd:// method too, just for better performance,
> unless I need the menus to navigate more complex content (like getting
> at a disc's special features).

for that, dvd://1-99 would also suffice, so you can emulate a "Play All"
feature.

dvdnav has the advantage that it works with copy protected DVDs that use
deliberately erroneous bad sectors placed in the normal stream. dvdnav
navigates around them via the cell commands, and dvd doesn't, leaving
some DVDs unplayable.

Nowadays, I always use dvdnav instead of dvd, angle switching is
something I never use, but currently on some chapter breaks dvdnav still
gets a 'hickup' instead of playing smoothly through it. And I have a
bunch of DVDs that won't play at all (only the dumped variant
-dumpstream, in connection with dvdnav) will play when stored as a file
(also b/c of copy protection, but apparently dvdnav has a problem
handling these cell commands.

I have also an issue with german Star Trek XI and Transformers II (both
from Paramount), which also have some sort of copy protection, and here
cell navigation and hickup at chapter break come together making it
tiresome to watch. dumpstream on the other hand delivers a completely
different result ??

I'd really like to see the dvdnav improved in that matter, i.e.
- no hickup at chapter breaks,
- playback of the remaining problematic DVDs
- correct seeking: currently, with some DVDs seeking within a certain
range always seeks to the same position: an example:

Transformers 2 DVD: has 99 titles on the main feature disc, most of them
are 'false' titles that play only a shortened version of the movie (some
chapters missing, others playing in different order).
Going through the menu (with -v and dvdnav), I see that title 9 is the
correct title to play. It also has the correct length on -identify

Now at chapter 4, roughly 14 minutes into the movie, comes a chapter
break, that is not handled well: macroblock pixelation, audio hickup.
When I seek to this position I land at 9 minutes and pressing forward 10
seconds I get to something like 9:40, but pressing forward again, I
still get to 9:40. I can let the movie play beyond this position up
until 12 minutes, pressing forward still gets me back to 9:40. So
getting to the 14 minutes position is only doable when playing it out at
normal speed, no seeking.

And if I use dumpstream instead of normal playback, after chapter 4
doesn't come chapter 5, but again it jumps back to chapter 3. I can
provide more info and a clearer analysis if needed.

--
cheers,
Alex