[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Steaphan Greene sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu
Wed Jul 13 09:44:24 CEST 2011

On 07/13/2011 03:18 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 09:03:08PM -0400, Steaphan Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone explain (or point me to an explanation of) the plan with the
>> duplication between dvdnav:// and dvd:// in current mplayer?
>>
>> Is there any interest in merging these two, or, at least, obsoleting one
>> by adding features to the other?  I might be interested in trying the
>> second choice myself.
>
> FWIW I really like the dvd:// method of playing a DVD, because I usually
> just want to watch the movie without working my way through menus. So
> from a user's perspective I'd prefer this to be retained.

Unless I am missing something, simply playing a track can be done with
either quite well (eg. "dvd://3" and "dvdnav://3" basically act exactly
the same until you hit menus, or try to change angles, etc...).

I generally prefer the dvd:// method too, just for better performance,
unless I need the menus to navigate more complex content (like getting
at a disc's special features).

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu>
Lecturer, Computer Science, Binghamton University