[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Wed Jul 13 09:18:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 09:03:08PM -0400, Steaphan Greene wrote:
> Can anyone explain (or point me to an explanation of) the plan with the
> duplication between dvdnav:// and dvd:// in current mplayer?
>
> Basically, is this split/duplication intended to be permanent, or is
> this just the current state, awaiting improvement?  As is, there are
> some things dvdnav: is better at (menus/navigation), and some things
> dvd: is better at (faster angle switching, smoother transitions).
>
> Is there any interest in merging these two, or, at least, obsoleting one
> by adding features to the other?  I might be interested in trying the
> second choice myself.

FWIW I really like the dvd:// method of playing a DVD, because I usually
just want to watch the movie without working my way through menus. So
from a user's perspective I'd prefer this to be retained.

But don't let this stop you from adding features to and/or improving
the dvdnav:// method!

Regards,
Erik