[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Steaphan Greene sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu
Wed Jul 13 03:03:08 CEST 2011

Can anyone explain (or point me to an explanation of) the plan with the
duplication between dvdnav:// and dvd:// in current mplayer?

Basically, is this split/duplication intended to be permanent, or is
this just the current state, awaiting improvement?  As is, there are
some things dvdnav: is better at (menus/navigation), and some things
dvd: is better at (faster angle switching, smoother transitions).

Is there any interest in merging these two, or, at least, obsoleting one
by adding features to the other?  I might be interested in trying the
second choice myself.

Either way, if I were to work on adding features to one or the other,
which one should I add the features to, if it can not be added to both
via common code?

My eventual interest is in helping to complete blu-ray play/navigation
support.  But, of course, that is a long way off, so this seemed like a
better place to start.

In the meantime, I thought the ability to play multiple DVD angles at
once might be neat (in fact, it is neat, and is possible via udp sync,
but a bit cumbersome, and currently incompatible with most navigation).

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu>
Lecturer, Computer Science, Binghamton University