[MPlayer-dev-eng] New gmplayer options?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Jan 5 13:01:22 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:54:27AM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote on Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:19:34 +0100:
>
> >> I wouldn't mind gmplayer not being part of mplayer, but I'd like to
> >> preserve a simple but powerful gtk-only based gui like this.
>
> > I really wonder if gmplayer is the best base for that and if there is a
> > point in keeping gmplayer inside the source tree of MPlayer.
>
> My first goal is to entirely understand how gmplayer works with / is
> integrated into MPlayer and to improve it a little bit by doing this.

It has its tentacles all over the place :)

> The question really is whether it is worth putting effort into gmplayer or
> into slave options (currently don't know anything about these) for other
> GUIs. (I'd like to have a look at gnome-mplayer if Kevin could make it
> compile without dbus or other dependencies.)

I do personally consider the internal GUI a dead end and to be honest,
I have lobbied for its removal for a long time.  Improving the slave
interface would benefit all GUIs, so I personally consider this more
valuable.

> If there is an equivalent or better simple, gtk-only GUI, gmplayer can go.
> If not, it might be removed from the MPlayer source tree but stay as one of
> several GUIs.

I'm happy with either of those alternatives.

Diego