[MPlayer-dev-eng] the great reformatting

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tieto.com
Wed Feb 16 08:42:17 CET 2011

tis 2011-02-15 klockan 22:07 +0100 skrev Ingo Brückl:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:24:34 +0100:
>
> > 1) I doubt enough people know K&R is such detail that it really matters
>
> K&R say:
>
>   [...] proper indentation and spacing are critical in making programs easy
>   for people to read. [...] Pick a style that suits you, then use it
>   consistently.
>
> (And throughout the book, K&R are very inconsistent themselves.)

Which also makes references to K&R style very unclear.

I looked in the book and K&R do not always use spaces on each side of a
mathematical operator. Just like me the avoid spaces in some cases which
enhances readability. I suggest we do not force this.

> That's the point. You don't want that when you're participating voluntarily
> and for fun. The style of programming isn't that important. If the coding is
> good, it will be easily understandable in any consistant style.

How important style is depends on the user. For some it is very
important.

I prefer the brace style version of K&R called 1TBS ("The One True Brace
Style") as it is very consistent, very easy to insert/remove lines and
easy to read. I suggest we do not force this.

   Dan