[MPlayer-dev-eng] the great reformatting

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Tue Feb 15 22:07:06 CET 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:24:34 +0100:

> 1) I doubt enough people know K&R is such detail that it really matters

K&R say:

  [...] proper indentation and spacing are critical in making programs easy
  for people to read. [...] Pick a style that suits you, then use it
  consistently.

(And throughout the book, K&R are very inconsistent themselves.)

As always in life, terms like "proper" and "easy to read" are very subjective
and what suits one person may not suit another one.

> We don't really want to bore people with a 50 page coding-style
> manual, people might feel reminded of EULAs and respond badly :-)

That's the point. You don't want that when you're participating voluntarily
and for fun. The style of programming isn't that important. If the coding is
good, it will be easily understandable in any consistant style.

Ingo