[MPlayer-dev-eng] Blu-ray m2ts PGS subtitle port from ffmpeg: call for developers

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri May 21 19:48:46 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 14:26 -0300, Dâniel Fraga wrote:
> 	Isn't there anyone interested in porting PGS subtitle code from
> ffmpeg to MPlayer? It's been a long time this subject was discussed
> here but no one decided to do it.
>
> 	Isn't there any programmer interested? How much time would it
> take for an experienced programmer to port it, since the code already
> exist on ffmpeg? Maybe less than 1 hour? Half a hour? I imagine it
> should not be very difficult, since the code already exist, right?

> 	Ps: even if someone had an "alpha" PGS port , I'd like to test
> it, if possible.

The FFmpeg code is not complete. It's missing important parts needed at
least to parse timing information (IIRC ffplay shows the subtitles with
completely arbitrary end times that have nothing to do with the correct
timing information). So using the current FFmpeg decoder is not enough
to parse the subtitle packets.

In addition to decoding the subtitles, a rendering implementation is
also needed. The test code I wrote earlier supports vo_vdpau only (since
that was the easiest to implement rendering for). That code would need
some changes before I could publish it even for testing purposes.