[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Some modest proposals

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat Jun 12 13:05:56 CEST 2010

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:47:57 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:13:19PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> - switch to git in a way or another and put official mirrors on github
>> and gitorious (so we might get more people involved)
>
>Since it's only a hunch I won't object due to it, but I wanted to say that
>I very much doubt it will help getting more people involved.
>IMHO git mostly is an advantage for people who contribute a lot and/or want
>to do huge changes or possibly forks, for one- or first-time contributors
>I suspect it will actually mostly add (even if only a little) complexity.

i dont remember any programmers complaining about mplayer's huge amount
of code or its complexity or its being hosted on svn. does someone
have examples of (possible) developers who refused to work
on mplayer due to these reasons?

its like saying the linux kernel is huge and complex and should be
split into a bunch of parts. most developers just work on some
submodule and can safely ignore the other 99% of code.

did uoti's git repo gain a ton of new developers for being on git?

not that i truely care one way or the other. i just think some reasons
are being blown up. i mean if you want to switch to git because you
like it more, thats a better reason to me.

-compn