[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Some modest proposals

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 14:20:52 CEST 2010

On 6/12/10, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:47:57 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>>On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:13:19PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>>> - switch to git in a way or another and put official mirrors on github
>>> and gitorious (so we might get more people involved)
>>
>>Since it's only a hunch I won't object due to it, but I wanted to say that
>>I very much doubt it will help getting more people involved.
>>IMHO git mostly is an advantage for people who contribute a lot and/or want
>>to do huge changes or possibly forks, for one- or first-time contributors
>>I suspect it will actually mostly add (even if only a little) complexity.
>
> i dont remember any programmers complaining about mplayer's huge amount
> of code or its complexity or its being hosted on svn. does someone
> have examples of (possible) developers who refused to work
> on mplayer due to these reasons?
>
> its like saying the linux kernel is huge and complex and should be
> split into a bunch of parts. most developers just work on some
> submodule and can safely ignore the other 99% of code.
>
> did uoti's git repo gain a ton of new developers for being on git?
>
> not that i truely care one way or the other. i just think some reasons
> are being blown up. i mean if you want to switch to git because you
> like it more, thats a better reason to me.

I'm far more worried about the possibility, the change to git to be
used as excuse to kick out more "inconvenient" developers, by barging
their way to commit stuff without approval from selected "master".

It is a sure way to strand even more people.

And please, stop with this cruft rhetoric. It's like labeling random
people terrorists, they became bad because of their label, not because
they are bad.

Nobody would join project that is ripping itself apart. No creator
should enjoy removing other people's work. Nobody would join project
because the source is nice looking.
People want challenges.

There is no cruft in mplayer. There are just possibilities for
improvement. Find people to fix them. Don't wait for people to just
appear. Promise developer access for people who are ready to work on
given task. Participate in GSoC, there is so much work to do in
MPlayer, why we never got even one task in SoC for all these years?

It's not like I haven't said this before... and probably once again I
won't be understood.