[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Some modest proposals

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Sat Jun 12 09:31:02 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 07:47:57 (CEST), Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:13:19PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> - switch to git in a way or another and put official mirrors on github
>> and gitorious (so we might get more people involved)
>
> Since it's only a hunch I won't object due to it, but I wanted to say that
> I very much doubt it will help getting more people involved.
> IMHO git mostly is an advantage for people who contribute a lot and/or want
> to do huge changes or possibly forks, for one- or first-time contributors
> I suspect it will actually mostly add (even if only a little)
> complexity.

I think this has changed over the time.

Git nowadays comes with a rather sensible frontend, the commands one-
and first-time contributors use are pretty similar to svn (git diff, git
commit -a, etc.).  Alternatively, this group of users can also always
download the most recent snapshot (and any snapshot before as well of
course) as compressed tarball from gitweb and work diff directly.

Having said this, I very much welcome the idea of switching both ffmpeg
and mplayer to git; with and without employing submodules.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4