[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] include dshow, ddraw, dinput headers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jan 19 21:28:19 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:11:23PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 01:05:49PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/ddraw.h
> > http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/dinput.h
> > http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/dsound.h
> >
> > ideally I'd like to put them e.g. in osdep and the add -Iosdep to extra_cflags
> > on win32 so that MPlayer compiles with -vo directx and -ao dsound even on
> > a fresh, unmodified MinGW installation.
> > Comments, any variant of this that would be acceptable to everyone?
>
> I'm not terribly fond of this, much of osdep I consider a mistake.
>
> IIRC we already require installing DirectX headers on Windows, so why
> not require installing a few extra headers?

We don't require any, MPlayer compiles on a fresh MinGW.
Direct3D headers are even part on MinGW (so I think it has -vo d3d, -vo gl
and -ao w32).
These three above aren't though and I am not aware of any proper source
for them (we have a dxheaders.something somewhere, but not even sure where,
the Microsoft ones are part of a huge SDK and I never tried to use them with
MinGW and the ones from Wine do not work as part of MinGW without replacing
MinGW headers.
They are necessary for -vo directx, -ao dsound and compiling libSDL with directx
support.

> > (due to being GPLv2 without any exception I don't think they can/should
> > be included in MinGW, I haven't even tried to get them included though).
>
> What is GPLv2 and where do you see the problem?  I cannot see any..

I just think having system headers that are licensed as (L)GPL would be quite
unusual and possibly not welcome in the MinGW project.