[MPlayer-dev-eng] A renewed request for using an external libass

Grigori Goronzy greg at chown.ath.cx
Fri Jan 8 19:36:47 CET 2010

On 01/08/2010 07:07 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Well, semi-regular manual updating (no review needed as specified in my other mail)
> of the included libass would be just as good I think.
> Just not including libass by default is not an option IMO.

For now I'll just update to latest libass HEAD. I can't promise anything
but I'll try to keep the internal copy somewhat up to date.
In the long run this might be more work, but at the moment it's easier
than getting MPlayer to use it via svn:external. :)

> If the internal copy was updated it could even select whichever is newer by default.
> Although if someone volunteers to update our copy from time to time it might
> be better to continue defaulting to the included one, if only to ease debugging.

IMO defaulting to system libass is better, as libass can be updated
independently from MPlayer (as long as the API doesn't change).

Grigori