[MPlayer-dev-eng] A renewed request for using an external libass

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jan 8 21:05:56 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 07:36:47PM +0100, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 07:07 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > If the internal copy was updated it could even select whichever is newer by default.
> > Although if someone volunteers to update our copy from time to time it might
> > be better to continue defaulting to the included one, if only to ease debugging.
>
> IMO defaulting to system libass is better, as libass can be updated
> independently from MPlayer (as long as the API doesn't change).

I'll leave it to you, but in reality it can easily mean that people will
use heavily outdated versions, just think of Ubuntu LTS - and installing
a self-compiled library is far more complicated and risky than compiling
MPlayer SVN.
Also to be pedantic, it can be updated independently as long as the _ABI_
does not change, the API changes are not relevant (though often related).