[MPlayer-dev-eng] A renewed request for using an external libass

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jan 8 19:07:29 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 06:36:59PM +0100, Grigori wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 08:02 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > But the external version is not available as a SVN repo, thus can not
> > be integrated as svn:external, right?
>
> I can set up an svn mirror if it's really needed that much, but IMO use
> of the system installed libass is the way go.

Well, semi-regular manual updating (no review needed as specified in my other mail)
of the included libass would be just as good I think.
Just not including libass by default is not an option IMO.

> > Send a patch to make configure use the external one by default,
> > that should be a simple first step.
>
> I think configure should prefer system libass if it's new enough (i.e.
> >= 0.9.7).

If the internal copy was updated it could even select whichever is newer by default.
Although if someone volunteers to update our copy from time to time it might
be better to continue defaulting to the included one, if only to ease debugging.