[MPlayer-dev-eng] Work on SDP and RTP support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 21 11:33:37 CET 2010

On 21 dec 2010, at 11:18, Clément Bœsch <ubitux at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment, the FreeSDP library copy is only used in for the code in
> librtsp/rtsp_rtp.c. Since the freesdp code is a bit overkill, and
> unmaintained upstream, I thought of rewriting a small parser for the SDP
> protocol. So I just did it this week end, and it implements almost
> everything of RFC4566 in something like 400 lines (instead of the 10 times
> more with FreeSDP).

Please, please, please do not add such code to MPlayer, the second you stop maintaining it it would break, add it to FFmpeg, there are multiple people there who can and are willing to maintain that kind of code.
It may be more effort to get it working now, but I promise it will be worth it in the long run (also because FFmpeg is large enough that there's a chance the people providing the servers will run compatibility testing against it).

> 1) Are you interested in a fix for the RTP code or you prefer to let it
>   rot/drop it?
> 2) If you're ok with a fix, do you have a stream that currently works with
>   it, or at least "should"
> 3) Are you ok with dropping FreeSDP over a simpler (already done) SDP
>   implementation?

Current code should be removed in the long term in favour of FFmpeg and we really shouldn't do much more than bug fixes to it, though what can be considered a bug fix is up to discussion...