[MPlayer-dev-eng] Work on SDP and RTP support

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 11:47:05 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:33:37AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 21 dec 2010, at 11:18, Clément Bœsch <ubitux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > At the moment, the FreeSDP library copy is only used in for the code in
> > librtsp/rtsp_rtp.c. Since the freesdp code is a bit overkill, and
> > unmaintained upstream, I thought of rewriting a small parser for the SDP
> > protocol. So I just did it this week end, and it implements almost
> > everything of RFC4566 in something like 400 lines (instead of the 10 times
> > more with FreeSDP).
>
> Please, please, please do not add such code to MPlayer, the second you
> stop maintaining it it would break, add it to FFmpeg, there are multiple
> people there who can and are willing to maintain that kind of code.

There is already a support in FFmpeg, that actually works (through
ffmpeg://rtsp://...), so well yes I could propose my SDP parser there.

> It may be more effort to get it working now, but I promise it will be
> worth it in the long run (also because FFmpeg is large enough that
> there's a chance the people providing the servers will run compatibility
> testing against it).

I'm ok with making it through FFmpeg; the problem is that old MPlayer
broken code still exists and is the default. Should I work on making the
ffmpeg code called by default?

> > 1) Are you interested in a fix for the RTP code or you prefer to let it
> >   rot/drop it?
> > 2) If you're ok with a fix, do you have a stream that currently works with
> >   it, or at least "should"
> > 3) Are you ok with dropping FreeSDP over a simpler (already done) SDP
> >   implementation?
>
> Current code should be removed in the long term [...]

What do you mean by "in the long term"; should we drop this... now?

--
Clément B.
Not sent from a jesusPhone.