[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Aug 2 16:11:33 CEST 2010

Le quintidi 15 thermidor, an CCXVIII, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> Well, I don't think (1) must be finished at all, but I think there
> should be enough of it to judge that the modifications for (2+3) actually
> fulfil their purpose.
> I personally just couldn't design something to make (1) nicer/easier
> without actually having at least a partial implementation of (1).

Ok. I understand your position, and I see its merits.

Now, just another point: there are currently two overlay systems: OSD and
EOSD, that is one too many: they should be merged. Do you agree?

> Hmm... Are you maybe not quite up-to-date? We do have "working" DVB and
> PGS subtitles, it's just that it's without colour support...
> _If_ you missed that, maybe that's why you think what I suggested would
> be so much work and/or why it's not much us a problem to fit the EOSD
> extension into the existing code?

I admit I missed that. I confirm it works, and that will be very helpful
for me in the next few days. Thanks.

But in the last messages, I was not arguing about too much work (or rather:
useless work), I was just trying to dissipate the confusion between the
"entry point" problem and the "bitmap support" problem. There is no longer a
"too much work" problem now that the confusion is gone.

IMHO, if all agree that OSD and EOSD should be merged, the only issue to
discuss is now: what is the best way to do it?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George