[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Aug 2 18:32:42 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:11:33PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> IMHO, if all agree that OSD and EOSD should be merged, the only issue to
> discuss is now: what is the best way to do it?

I'm not sure it's going to work well, OSD is supported by a lot of
hard-to-test VOs and stuff like that.
My idea would be to figure out a way to push the vob/DVB/... subtitles
the way the are now through the EOSD pipeline instead of OSD,
the results of such an attempt should give us at least some idea what
probably works and what does not.
It might (though I have some doubts) make sense to e.g. implement a
filter that provides an OSD "renderer" like -vf expand does, but instead
of rendering it it converts it into EOSD subs.
Though there might still be a problem due to the OSD having multiple
parts and then there's the EOSD and I think they're all supposed to be
merged together to one single EOSD command.
It might be not too hard due to the way the OSD works, but honestly I
don't have it all in my head so I would really know.