[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Aug 2 14:44:31 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 01:35:09PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> I think all of us were very unclear. Until now, I thought the question was
> about:
>
> (1) Add a new useful feature that relies on EOSD.
>
> (2) Change EOSD to make (1) easier.
>
> And I thought your exigence was (1) before (2).
>
> Now I think the question is about:
>
> (1) Add a new useful feature that relies on EOSD.
>
> (2) Change the entry point of EOSD (currently entangled with libass) to make
>     (1) easier.
>
> (3) Extend the features offered by EOSD to make (1) easier / look nicer.
>
> And, as far as I understand you, you insist that (2) -> (1) -> (3) is better
> than (2+3) -> (1).
>
> Is that right?
>
> If so, I think your point is perfectly valid.

Well, I don't think (1) must be finished at all, but I think there
should be enough of it to judge that the modifications for (2+3) actually
fulfil their purpose.
I personally just couldn't design something to make (1) nicer/easier
without actually having at least a partial implementation of (1).

> > Well, maybe, but I think neither of them will answer whether the code
> > will work with the current DVD, DVB, PGS subtitle support without
> > _completely_ rewriting it.
>
> I had, eighteen months, DVB subtitles working by plugging directly in the
> libass structures. The patch went dead because of unresolved issues related
> to the lack of clean entry point for EOSD and I had no time to work on it.
>
> Therefore, at the very least, a clean entry point for EOSD would allow DVB
> subtitles.

Hmm... Are you maybe not quite up-to-date? We do have "working" DVB and
PGS subtitles, it's just that it's without colour support...
_If_ you missed that, maybe that's why you think what I suggested would
be so much work and/or why it's not much us a problem to fit the EOSD
extension into the existing code?