[MPlayer-dev-eng] vdpau codec priority?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 2 17:08:47 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:19:28PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
> > > Especially since the realistic use-case is not only trying to decode two
> > > videos, but to decode a video which has an unsupported width (or, less
> > > likely, height).
> >
> > How likely is that case?
>
> The most likely case is that hardware might not support hardware accelerated
> decoding for the video the user tries to play. Atm, the user had to pass -vc
> *vdpau, so it should not fail be default. But if we make *vdpau the default
> (which might be a good idea), MPlayer should at least fail with a more useful
> output.

For that special case just trying to create a decoder with dummy values
during colourspace query is enough.

> Would it be possible to quit instead of trying to play if config() fails in
> vo_vdpau.c?

You can always call exit() (or better the mplayer function for that) but
it sure isn't a good solution.
Also, if the error is during config and not during decode it is already
supposed to give up, does that really nor work or are you confusing it
with a different case where it does not fail in config but later?