[MPlayer-dev-eng] vdpau codec priority?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Sep 2 17:32:59 CEST 2009

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > The most likely case is that hardware might not support hardware accelerated
> > decoding for the video the user tries to play. Atm, the user had to pass -vc
> > *vdpau, so it should not fail be default. But if we make *vdpau the default
> > (which might be a good idea), MPlayer should at least fail with a more useful
> > output.
>
> For that special case just trying to create a decoder with dummy values
> during colourspace query is enough.

Except if the hardware fails to decode the provided video (but would succeed for
the codec in principle).

> > Would it be possible to quit instead of trying to play if config() fails in
> > vo_vdpau.c?
>
> You can always call exit() (or better the mplayer function for that) but
> it sure isn't a good solution.
> Also, if the error is during config and not during decode it is already
> supposed to give up, does that really nor work or are you confusing it
> with a different case where it does not fail in config but later?

Please try (in the ffmpeg build directory):
./ffmpeg -i tests/data/a-dv50.dv -s 784x576 -vcodec libx264 test.mp4
mplayer test.mp4 -vc ffh264vdpau
(Dont' forget to set the terminal's history to a large value)

Carl Eugen