[MPlayer-dev-eng] willing to pay for RTMP support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Nov 17 16:02:26 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 03:46:25PM +0100, Sander Plas wrote:
> We currently see that a lot of radio stations are switching to RTMP
> streaming. Unfortunately, MPlayer does not support RTMP at all at this
> moment. I have seen a few open source implementations of RTMP (ffmpeg,
> vlc, flvstreamer, xbmc) but none of them seems to work reliably on live
> audio streams. Since Adobe published the RTMP specs, we think it should
> be possible to write a fully working implementation.

I think there are probably better "specifications" available than those
from Adobe going by what I heard so far.

> We are looking for a developer that can add RTMP support to MPlayer in
> such a way that at least RTMP radio stations can be played back without
> problems. Our goal is to get this added to the main MPlayer project, not
> to create some kind of 'fork' for ourselves.

I someone takes this up, I kindly request that the first try is to
add support for stream reading via FFmpeg (more precisely, URLProtocol
support via libavformat).
That obviously means it might be a good idea to report the issues that
FFmpeg's RTMP support has (and if that is actually the only issue that
ffmpeg has for you, that might even be enough).