[MPlayer-dev-eng] willing to pay for RTMP support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Nov 17 17:17:26 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 04:02:26PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > We are looking for a developer that can add RTMP support to MPlayer in
> > such a way that at least RTMP radio stations can be played back without
> > problems. Our goal is to get this added to the main MPlayer project, not
> > to create some kind of 'fork' for ourselves.
>
> I someone takes this up, I kindly request that the first try is to
> add support for stream reading via FFmpeg (more precisely, URLProtocol
> support via libavformat).
> That obviously means it might be a good idea to report the issues that
> FFmpeg's RTMP support has (and if that is actually the only issue that
> ffmpeg has for you, that might even be enough).

I took a few moments to look at this and implemented it.
It's certain to have a few rough edges, but if you configure latest SVN
MPlayer with
--enable-protocol="file_protocol pipe_protocol http_protocol rtmp_protocol tcp_protocol udp_protocol"
You should be able to play rtmp via
mplayer ffmpeg://rtmp://URL
However I do not have any sample URLs at hand to actually test it.
You will still need someone to fix the issues with FFmpeg's rtmp support
though (so I hope I haven't hindered anyway from earning some money - if
yes don't worry, I'll soon have less time for that kind of thing :-) ).

Kind regards,
Reimar Döffinger