[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GSoC ?

rvm rvm3000 at ya.com
Thu Feb 26 00:30:09 CET 2009

El Miércoles, 25 de Febrero de 2009 14:01, "C. Bergström" escribió:
> Eric Appleman wrote:
> > Attila Kinali wrote:
> >> Moin,
> >>
> >> A recent discussion on IRC brought up the idea that MPlayer could
> >> participate with GSoC this year and get some of the longer outstanding
> >> stuff fixed.
> >>
> >> One idea for a project was to finaly fix the GUI (ie remove the old
> >> and replace it with a new one).
> >>
> >> Do you have any other ideas for projects or comments?
> >>
> >> 			Attila Kinali
> >
> > As I understand it, the MPlayer GUI has been killed off in the
> > mplayer-mt git branch. I'm not sure if a MPlayer-G2-esque revamp of the
> > GUI, let alone the core, is really in the cards anymore.
> >
> > In my opinion, there's really little need for a built-in GUI, except
> > for  perhaps "completeness", when amazing frontends like SMPlayer exist.
>
> Ok.. since I use the really ugly mplayer built-in because it's easy..
> What about the idea of merging smplayer with mplayer.. pulling the
> existing gui and profit?  If the smplayer author/maintainers are on this
> list. maybe they can comment?

I'm the developer of smplayer. But I think that wouldn't be a good idea,
mplayer and smplayer are two very different things. I agree with Kevin
DeKorte, I think mplayer should try to make things easier for front-ends.
Currently many things require to restart the mplayer process, it would be
fine if mplayer provided more slave commands to avoid it.

Also it would be useful if mplayer would report when some changes happen, for
instance when the chapter or dvd title changes. I know that info could
probably be retrieved with get_property but I think it's better that mplayer
reports about those events when they happen instead of the front-ends to have
to query from time to time.

Something that I think it should improved is dvdnav. Currently it seems it
doesn't make things easier for front-ends at all.

For instance there's no way to know the current title when playing a dvd
using dvdnav. Currently mplayer prints a line like this "DVDNAV, switched to
title: 1" but actually that title number may not match the title IDs that
mplayer printed before.

There isn't also a way to find out when mplayer is displaying a dvd menu.

Also it seems dvdnav contains many bugs, for instance the subtitles may
disappear after seeking. Or if the audio track is changed then the sound may
be lost when returning to a dvd menu. These are a few problems I noticed when
I tried to add support for dvd menus in smplayer, but for sure there'll be
many more.

Another problem I have for ages... with some dvds mplayer doesn't report the
right time position (seconds from the beginning). It seems it reports the
seconds from the start of the current chapter... Both the status line and the
get_time_pos command reports the wrong info. I couldn't find a way to know
the right time position. But the mplayer OSD does display the correct time,
so mplayer does know it, but it doesn't report it to front-ends...

And what about a slave command to allow front-ends to change the audio
equalizer?

There was this patch, which was never reviewed:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2008-June/057847.html

--
rvm