[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GSoC ?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 25 15:32:13 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:43:11 +0100
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:01:23PM +0200, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> > Eric Appleman wrote:
>
> That would depend on someone mentoring.

If nobody else would volunteer, i'd do it, though i'm quite out
of touch with most of the code.

> Mencoder overhaul (not sure about details, thus probably a bad idea),
> libavfilter support (since libavfilter is not yet in FFmpeg, this is
> questionable as well). Most other stuff is too similar to the libswscale
> cleanup project, and IMO would be very likely to have the same result.

General clean up projects are a bad idea, but if there is a specific
task like "simplify and correct timing code" then it should be possible.

> I have sever issues with the idea of a Gui in MPlayer SVN.
> Reasons
> 1) too many developers do not care about a Gui

One caring about it is enough :-)

> 2) it makes it far too easy to use hacks instead of a more "proper"
> solution that can be used by all front-ends

We do not have a really good front-end interface IMHO.
The slave interface is still limited in many ways.

Ok, we could change the task to extend the slave interface
in a way that would make it possible to just simply drop
the internal GUI and use frontends only. But this would need
to be carfully planned.

What are the frontend developers here on -dev-eng thinking about this?
What kind of slave commands/output would you need  full fledged GUI?

> 3) it is unclear what the goal would be

Having a proper, working GUI that isnt a GTK+X11 hack like the current one.

			Attila Kinali

--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.
If you want to walk far, walk together.