[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Jun 17 19:57:08 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:57:13AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:35:34AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > Seconded (or rather thirded).
> >
> > I object, we should agree on the style most developers like best. The style
> > we would choose is what people here will have to live with for quite some
> > time. If a overwhelming majority dislikes some detail of K&R it would be
> > simply wrong to ignore that.
> > Iam not saying iam against indent -kr style, iam just saying that it is
> > very wrong to not vote on each issue individually. But rather to bundle
> > them up in what the person in charge would prefer to see ...
>
> These two paragraphs contain so many (unnecessarily) loaded statements
> that it becomes quite hard not to flame in response.

If one considers every disagreeing statement, loaded ...

> Anyway, this thread is marked [bikeshed] for a good reason.  Voting on
> each issue individually is a recipe for endless bikeshedding.

> This is
> not a good idea.

It is a good idea to vote on the exact details of the style that we will have
to live with in the foreseeable future.

> This is necessarily about tradeoffs and compromises.

Yes, compromisses and tradeoffs between the developers, not the compromise
of everyone accepting whatever style uoti picked.

[...]

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates