[MPlayer-dev-eng] release alongside FFmpeg

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Feb 2 14:15:26 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:23:40AM -0500, compn wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:22:17 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >It's high time for a release, so why not release alongside FFmpeg,
> >i.e. on the very same day?
> >
> >Distros will love us for it, it will allow them to combine MPlayer
> >with the FFmpeg release package without ill effects.
>
> can we get vdpau in there before the release?

That seems optimistic, so far only the "trivial" stuff has been
discussed, the more difficult stuff like working -fixed-vo or panscan or
how to allocate the proper number of frames, how to handle errors etc.
pp. haven't even been thought about.
Not to mention advanced features like post-processing.

> or would it cause too many bugreports?

That indeed does not matter much, but it will give bug reports where all
error messages are with line numbers. Since the release would at most
have a very incomplete/buggy first version I don't think it would be
sane to support bug reports against the release for more than a few
weeks.
Thus I am just really non-convinced a release wouldn't do more harm than
good, unless we create a script that gets rid of all the manual release
work (e.g. the version.sh modification) and dump a new tarball (no
binaries) on the web site every two weeks or so.
I think I'd even volunteer to do that (I assume it would be very little
work indeed).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger