[MPlayer-dev-eng] release alongside FFmpeg

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Mon Feb 2 16:17:30 CET 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:15:26 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:23:40AM -0500, compn wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:22:17 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> >It's high time for a release, so why not release alongside FFmpeg,
>> >i.e. on the very same day?
>> >
>> >Distros will love us for it, it will allow them to combine MPlayer
>> >with the FFmpeg release package without ill effects.
>>
>> can we get vdpau in there before the release?
>
>That seems optimistic, so far only the "trivial" stuff has been
>discussed, the more difficult stuff like working -fixed-vo or panscan or

is panscan really that important? i dont recall many people asking
about it.

>how to allocate the proper number of frames, how to handle errors etc.
>pp. haven't even been thought about.
>Not to mention advanced features like post-processing.

someone on #mplayer had a working patch for ass subtitles in vdpau
(for nvidia patch, not carl's patch). so maybe this could be copied.

but i didnt know the current status of the patch, so please dont rush
anything and ignore my idea for vdpau before this release.

>Thus I am just really non-convinced a release wouldn't do more harm than
>good, unless we create a script that gets rid of all the manual release
>work (e.g. the version.sh modification) and dump a new tarball (no
>binaries) on the web site every two weeks or so.
>I think I'd even volunteer to do that (I assume it would be very little
>work indeed).

this was suggested on ffmpeg-devel as the 'wine release method'.
i agree we should do it this way.

-compn