[MPlayer-dev-eng] Direct 3D Windows VO

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 18:40:20 CET 2008

On 11/11/08, Olivier Chalouhi <olivier at vuze.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans for developing a direct 3d (vs directx) vo for
> windows.
> The current directx vo on Vista forces the compatibility mode and
> disables aero, which results in a degraded user experience. Moreover
> the current directx implementation will only work with the primary
> display.
>
> If anyone would have the capabilities of doing it (VLC has one, so it
> may be possible to base the mplayer's one on the implementation from
> VLC), please contact me back, as my company would be willing to pay
> for this development.

There was somebody quite enthusiastic to write direct3d vo,
however we haven't heard much from him lately.
His last attempts were not very encouraging as he was not able to get better
performance than the already existing -vo gl driver.

BTW, I think I've seen some simple patch messing with magic flags, so
Vista won't drop the entire Aero, but only the windows where MPlayer
is running.