[MPlayer-dev-eng] Commit rules and coexistence rules

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Jun 6 17:52:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:58:52AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:09:50AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > i did not want to reply, but this statement feels too insulting to let it
> > > stand
> > > i know better than you what i want. And i would be happy to see the
> > > active developers have the reins.
> >
> > The active developers have voted and do not share your opinion.
>
> many active developers have not voted,

This is interesting: First you want me to revoke an account without
any votes from active developers, now you claim that not enough active
developers have voted.  What's it going to be?

> You are an invaluable member of the mplayer team

I thought I had just heard you say my contributions were worthless.
Well, I'm glad that you have reconsidered.

For the record: I do not consider your contributions worthless, it's
just that your focus has shifted to FFmpeg nowadays.  You are doing
invaluable work there and I think it is good that you concentrate on
FFmpeg.

> I for one would love to see a leader beliving in democracy
> for example ...

What sort of democracy are you looking for?  Your idea of democracy
seems to be starting to vote away at random in some dark corner, insist
on head count to generate legitimacy and when the vote is tied by head
count, disregard the outcome and flame as if there was no tomorrow.

I am not in any way opposed to democracy in general, but I do not
subscribe to your ideas about voting procedures at all.
Democracy needs a constitution and proper voting procedures.

Also, I do not believe in voting as an adequate means of resolving
conflicts in projects like this one.  Plus, I do not think that head
count is an appropriate measure in all situations.

> > > You have the highest raw commit count but the lowest of self written C code.
> >
> > This project does not consist just of C code.
>
> No, but if you take everything else away, mplayer can still be used (a little
> annoying to compile files without a build system but it can be done).

It would obviously be of little use to developers who would have to
implement some sort of build system from scratch.  configure and the
Makefiles together currently weigh in at about 10000 [1] lines of code.
This is entirely nontrivial.

It would be of absolutely no use to users, who would know neither how to
build it, nor how to make any use of it without documentation.

It would be hard to get without a website or a project server.

> If you take the C code away there is nothing left one could use

If I take the C code from the inactive developers away, MPlayer remains
practically unchanged.

> > Still my commit count to
> > C files exceeds that of the 5 people who voted against Uoti.
>
> But none of this code is written by you. Nor has any of it been reviewed by you

False.

Diego

[1] configure could be considerably shorter if done properly.