[MPlayer-dev-eng] Commit rules and coexistence rules

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jun 6 02:58:52 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:09:50AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:52:51PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > False.  I am the one who wants to have the people who actually write the
> > > code have the reins, not you.
> >
> > i did not want to reply, but this statement feels too insulting to let it
> > stand
> > i know better than you what i want. And i would be happy to see the
> > active developers have the reins.
>
> The active developers have voted and do not share your opinion.

many active developers have not voted, ben and evgeny did vote for uoti to
keep his account. Yes
I still would support them to take over the project leadership (if noone more
experienced like reimar is willing to do it). And can cast my vote in public
if you do not belive me.
You are an invaluable member of the mplayer team and someone i would trust in
real life, but i do not think that FOSS project leader is what you are best at.

Also you had the position for a long time, i think we should give someone
else a chance. I for one would love to see a leader beliving in democracy
for example ...

> > You have the highest raw commit count but the lowest of self written C code.
>
> This project does not consist just of C code.

No, but if you take everything else away, mplayer can still be used (a little
annoying to compile files without a build system but it can be done).
If you take the C code away there is nothing left one could use

> Still my commit count to
> C files exceeds that of the 5 people who voted against Uoti.

But none of this code is written by you. Nor has any of it been reviewed by you

[...]

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact