[MPlayer-dev-eng] recursive make considered harmful

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Jun 5 10:25:44 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:48:45AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:52:04PM +0200, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> > Benjamin Zores a écrit :
> >
> > > For sure, I do have more stuff to complain about on Diego's work than on
> > > yours for obvious reasons, I barely ever have seen a commit from you.
> > > No, in fact, that's not true, looking at MAINTAINERS file, I do have
> > > more stuff to complain about on files you maintain than on the one Diego
> > > does.
> >
> > And just to sum up, lookign at MAINTAINERS file, you maintain:
> > - XviD codec
> >   => we use ffmpeg only and you probably never wrote any code from libxvid
> > - vo_svga.c
> >   => you did a rewrote of existing code
> > - vo_xvmc.c
> >   => copy/paste of vo_xv.c code, nothing's factorized, full of bugs
> >      and crahes with libmenu (but you don't care about as no one ever
> >      wrote in rules file that code had to work ...).
> >
> > So you maintain 3 _really_ important files in MPlayer.
> >
> > Also:
> > # svn log -v > commits.txt
> > # grep " iive " commits.txt  | wc -l
> > 194
> > # grep " ben " commits.txt  | wc -l
> > 315
> > # grep " diego " commits.txt  | wc -l
> > 4840
> >
> > Are you really sure you have any right to criticize him ?
> > I certainly do not.
> > The whole point is that your contribution is meaningless by comparison
> > to the pain you've caused.
>
> Thats your oppinion and an insult, did iive insult you?

Benjamin's opinion is shared by many others (and not just me).  As
Dominik said, Ivan is out of control.  He has contributed nothing but
flames in a long time.  The little code he contributed over the years
has multiple long-standing issues that do not get addressed.

It's very sad to have to say this, but indeed his positive contributions
are overshadowed by the flaming, trolling and the obstructions he puts
in everybody's way.

> I really think we should all try to return to a insult free form of
> communication, flaming about technical parts is one thing but
> honestly ...

It's interesting that you say that to all people except the main
offender.

> calling fellow developers dog, frog, comparing them to sheep, and telling
> them to "shut the hell up" is IMHO going too far.

Telling somebody who steps out of line repeatedly, trolls and seems
incapable of civil communication to "shut up", even to "shut the hell
up" is perfectly acceptable.

It's not like Ivan has responded to softer methods to get this point
across in the past.  Unless people articulate their opinion about his
behavior at some point he will keep believing he does nothing wrong.

> > However please not that if you intend to play this stupid game
> > any longer and if ever Uoti's (or anyone else in fact) account is
> > removed, than I'd like to vote for your own account removal (you can
> > do the same for me, even if it is, I really do not fucking care).
>
> Do you have any reasons beyond personal anger to ask for iives account
> removal?

Is that a serious question?

Ivan is a destructive force in this project.  He is a troll, flames
constantly, keeps other people from doing useful work, poisons the
atmosphere and contributes nothing to offset this.

He reverts other people's commits without prior notice, which threatens
to incite commit wars.

He never accepts that a discussion has ended or that he has been
overruled.

You left Ivan out of NUT development yourself, because he was
unreasonable.

Now you surely do not reserve the right to ask for account suspension
just for you and not for Benjamin, do you?

Diego