[MPlayer-dev-eng] recursive make considered harmful

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 5 03:48:45 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:52:04PM +0200, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> Benjamin Zores a écrit :
>
> > For sure, I do have more stuff to complain about on Diego's work than on
> > yours for obvious reasons, I barely ever have seen a commit from you.
> > No, in fact, that's not true, looking at MAINTAINERS file, I do have
> > more stuff to complain about on files you maintain than on the one Diego
> > does.
>
> And just to sum up, lookign at MAINTAINERS file, you maintain:
> - XviD codec
>   => we use ffmpeg only and you probably never wrote any code from libxvid
> - vo_svga.c
>   => you did a rewrote of existing code
> - vo_xvmc.c
>   => copy/paste of vo_xv.c code, nothing's factorized, full of bugs
>      and crahes with libmenu (but you don't care about as no one ever
>      wrote in rules file that code had to work ...).
>
> So you maintain 3 _really_ important files in MPlayer.
>
> Also:
> # svn log -v > commits.txt
> # grep " iive " commits.txt  | wc -l
> 194
> # grep " ben " commits.txt  | wc -l
> 315
> # grep " diego " commits.txt  | wc -l
> 4840
>
> Are you really sure you have any right to criticize him ?

Article 19. of the universal declaration of human rights by the United Nations

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right
includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive
and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of
frontiers.

----
Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include
 freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas
 without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This
 article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting,
 television or cinema enterprises.
2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and
 responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions
 or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic
 society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or
 public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection
 of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of
 others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence,
 or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

----

So while you may belive he does not have the right, frankly his right is
even legally enforceable and has constitutional status in many european
countries.
[This of course does not necccesarily apply to lies, insults and such ... ]

> I certainly do not.

You do as well

> The whole point is that your contribution is meaningless by comparison
> to the pain you've caused.

Thats your oppinion and an insult, did iive insult you? He surely did diego
and diego him ...

I really think we should all try to return to a insult free form of
communication, flaming about technical parts is one thing but
honestly ...
calling fellow developers dog, frog, comparing them to sheep, and telling
them to "shut the hell up" is IMHO going too far. I dont really mind it
in principle but i have the feeling some people here take it more
serious than they should.

> Also, your behavior is pissing me up and it's probably the same for
> other (silent) devels.

> You wanna blame Diego because Uoti's account
> hasn't been removed, that's ridiculous, but that's fine.

Diego is the one "in charge" ATM so he is the one to blame about account
manageent issues. Like the finance minister of a country is responsible
for the finances ...
The difference is mainly that the later likely is somehow democratically
elected at least indirectly.

> However please
> not that if you intend to play this stupid game any longer and if ever
> Uoti's (or anyone else in fact) account is removed, than I'd like to
> vote for your own account removal (you can do the same for me, even if
> it is, I really do not fucking care).

Do you have any reasons beyond personal anger to ask for iives account
removal?
Uoti has broken the rules repeatly, said he doesnt care about the
rules, ignored requests from a near unanimous majorty of developers, ...

[...]

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik