[MPlayer-dev-eng] Writing a brand new D3D video output to fix Vista Aero disabling

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Tue Jun 3 21:07:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:22:10 +0200, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 01:56:27PM +0300, Georgi Petrov wrote:
>> I've left DR as a stub for now, but later I'll implement it. I also
>> opted to use the new API - VOCTRL_DRAW_IMAGE and don't implement
>> draw_frame. How sad, that draw_slice is said to be required.
>
>As long as you use -noslices, draw_slice will not actually be used.
>
>> Hmm - is it only me, or I don't see YV12 supported by D3D? I haven't
>> investigated further, but I will.
>
>Of course not. I am not aware of any YUV being supported. You will have
>to write pixel shaders to do the conversion, which is why supporting
>GeForce 3 may not be possible (I am not completely sure what exactly they
>support with D3D).

according to wikipedia, gf3 supports D3D 8.0, Pixel Shader 1.1, Vertex Shader 1.1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_3_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_Graphics_Processing_Units

vlc's d3d output mentions something about using hardware yuv...
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/video_output/msw/direct3d.c;h=829882062ca161623ccf415736f57e370c503600;hb=HEAD

vlc also has a gsoc project to update its d3d output for vista
http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2008/EVR_video_output_module

mpc-hc (media player classic fork) has some DXVA support:
http://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mpc-hc/trunk/src/apps/mplayerc/

-compn