[MPlayer-dev-eng] Writing a brand new D3D video output to fix Vista Aero disabling

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jun 3 21:11:03 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 02:07:43PM -0500, compn wrote:
> vlc's d3d output mentions something about using hardware yuv...
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/video_output/msw/direct3d.c;h=829882062ca161623ccf415736f57e370c503600;hb=HEAD

AFAICT, this
1) still will end up doing software conversion from YV12 to UYVY or YUY2
2) on some hardware may end up still using software YUV->RGB if you are
unlucky
3) D3D10 does not seem to provide UYVY/YUY2 formats, so it may be a dead-end
in addition (though in the end using D3D probably always implies that
long-term compatibility while providing new features will be a huge
pain).

Obviously I was thinking of doing the conversion as with the OpenGL vo,
though since my knowledge on D3D is very limited that might also be a
bad idea...
Oh, and the reference to MPC might be much more useful, it has a far
more advanced D3D renderer, including quite a few custom filters (if
that is a goal, it was a big part of my work on the OpenGL vo and
should be less effort with D3D).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger