[MPlayer-dev-eng] Writing a brand new D3D video output to fix Vista Aero disabling

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:12:09 CEST 2008

On 6/3/08, Georgi Petrov <gogothebee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I'm Bulgarian!!! When I saw your name, I already knew that you
> are as well :)
> Can you give me the documentation? It will prove helpful!
>
> Thanks! I'll have those things you said in mind. I've already filled a
> lot of the needed functions. Most of them are still not complete and
> work just to get the driver working, but tonight or tomorrow I'll have
> a nice window to render frames into :)
>
> I want to make this driver really top-quality - with clear, well
> structured code, with a lot of comments and with every possible
> feature implemented. I hate when some lousy driver doesn't implement
> something that's supported by the hardware and I'll commit myself to
> make this D3D driver as good as humanly possible.
>
> I've left DR as a stub for now, but later I'll implement it. I also
> opted to use the new API - VOCTRL_DRAW_IMAGE and don't implement
> draw_frame. How sad, that draw_slice is said to be required. I've left
> every other color space than YUY2 in the beginning and I don't even
> probe the device capabilities. Those things will happen later.
>
> Hmm - is it only me, or I don't see YV12 supported by D3D? I haven't
> investigated further, but I will.

I guess you find it hard to find any planar modes?

yv12 is actually YUV420 with swapped UV (if we take the order of
decoding chroma components for indication how they should be stored in
memory).
It was old misunderstanding that was resolved in general way, but remained
as talking point (and point of causing confusion).

In mplayer mpi structure pointer to color planes are aways in
mandatory position, no matter of their real memory location.
That is explained in mplayer/DOCS/tech/colorspaces

> My first milestone would be to watch an episode of Lost rendered with
> my video out module. Without subtitles of course :)
>
> Ouch - about the subtitles and all OSD - I want to draw it AFTER the
> image is scaled. Directx driver draws it BEFORE image scaling and
> low-res videos scaled to full screen have terrible controls and
> subtitles. For example gl driver does it right! Is this possible? I
> think it is, but I'm not sure.

Yes you can.