[MPlayer-dev-eng] Writing a brand new D3D video output to fix Vista Aero disabling

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:56:27 CEST 2008

Yes, I'm Bulgarian!!! When I saw your name, I already knew that you
are as well :)
Can you give me the documentation? It will prove helpful!

Thanks! I'll have those things you said in mind. I've already filled a
lot of the needed functions. Most of them are still not complete and
work just to get the driver working, but tonight or tomorrow I'll have
a nice window to render frames into :)

I want to make this driver really top-quality - with clear, well
structured code, with a lot of comments and with every possible
feature implemented. I hate when some lousy driver doesn't implement
something that's supported by the hardware and I'll commit myself to
make this D3D driver as good as humanly possible.

I've left DR as a stub for now, but later I'll implement it. I also
opted to use the new API - VOCTRL_DRAW_IMAGE and don't implement
draw_frame. How sad, that draw_slice is said to be required. I've left
every other color space than YUY2 in the beginning and I don't even
probe the device capabilities. Those things will happen later.

Hmm - is it only me, or I don't see YV12 supported by D3D? I haven't
investigated further, but I will.

My first milestone would be to watch an episode of Lost rendered with
my video out module. Without subtitles of course :)

Ouch - about the subtitles and all OSD - I want to draw it AFTER the
image is scaled. Directx driver draws it BEFORE image scaling and
low-res videos scaled to full screen have terrible controls and
subtitles. For example gl driver does it right! Is this possible? I
think it is, but I'm not sure.

I may have more questions these days and sorry, I won't top-post again :)