[MPlayer-dev-eng] Writing a brand new D3D video output to fix Vista Aero disabling

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:03:17 CEST 2008

On 6/3/08, Georgi Petrov <gogothebee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, is it right that in preinit I shouldn't create the render window
> on the screen, but just initialize enough to support format query
> afterwards?

Yes.
It is also used to check whatever there is support for the given vo.
Aka, you can check if there is 3D support. This allows MPlayer to
ignore the output device if it can't work.

> Is it right that the first creation of window on the screen should
> happen after the first "config" call with some height/width

yes.

> parameters? And is it right that after each call of config (if this is
> not the first one), I should release the window, close everything D3D
> related and create it again?

On new config() you should be able to work with the new parameters.
It is not mandatory to free everything and then allocate it again.
If you can reuse old buffers it is highly recommended to do so.

There is option "-fixed-vo" that controls that behavior. It avoid
calling of the free function before calling config() again.

In fact sometimes config() would be called again when only the aspect
ratio have been changed. If -dr rendering is used it may cause segfault
as video buffer would be reallocated, while the decoder still needs it.

P.S.
Don't top-post.

P.S.2
Your name looks typical for Bulgarian.
If that's the case I can provide you with detailed documentation
written in Bulgarian.