[MPlayer-dev-eng] note about vo_sdl (Re: Video output for RV280+Mesa3D)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Dec 5 15:37:45 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 03:06:46PM +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Am Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:54:50 +0100
> schrieb Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
>
> > [...] but I just would avoid yet
> > another vo like vo_sdl that hardly anyone uses and has rotten so much
> > that just 10 minutes of testing finds at least 5 bugs.
>
> I don't claim SDL output isn't buggy, but I at least wanted to drop a note about it being useful for me on a rather exotic environment: Solaris with Sun Ray dumb terminal / thin client.

I don't disagree, I just say too few people use it to keep it above what
I'd call "barely working" state.

> The vo_x11 aborts with an invalid request (somehow looks like it wanted to use YUV output? not sure).

No, vo_x11 never tries to use YUV, unless you mean vo_xv. Unfortunately I can only well fix it on stuff
I can test, but it has come a long way, it works even for X11 forwarding
between little-endian and big-endian machines nowadays and with
non-trusted ssh X-forwarding.
In case you have an "ancient" version (before rc2) you should upgrade.

> Oh, and I'd rather not try vo_gl on the old Sun Ray;-)

Actually, MESA software emulation is not quite as horrible as most
people think. But probably still not a good idea.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger