[MPlayer-dev-eng] note about vo_sdl (Re: Video output for RV280+Mesa3D)

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Fri Dec 5 15:06:46 CET 2008

Am Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:54:50 +0100
schrieb Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:

> [...] but I just would avoid yet
> another vo like vo_sdl that hardly anyone uses and has rotten so much
> that just 10 minutes of testing finds at least 5 bugs.

I don't claim SDL output isn't buggy, but I at least wanted to drop a note about it being useful for me on a rather exotic environment: Solaris with Sun Ray dumb terminal / thin client.
The vo_x11 aborts with an invalid request (somehow looks like it wanted to use YUV output? not sure).
But vo_sdl just works well enough ... SDL seems to figure out the proper X11 setup on these systems.
Not that it's big fun watching video pushed through the 100MBit network, but with some downscaling it is sort of fluent and does the trick for a small film that one needs to watch for some reason (p.ex. some data visualization... not the stuff you might think about;-).
Oh, and I'd rather not try vo_gl on the old Sun Ray;-)

So I just wanted to say that the SDL output still has its use for me at least.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

PS: I might come around debugging the issue vo_x11 has, but it is really not that high priority (besides really being not what I am paid here for...) -- video playback on these things sucks anyway.