[MPlayer-dev-eng] Video output for RV280+Mesa3D

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Dec 5 13:54:50 CET 2008

> rv280 doesn't have ARBfp1.0, on the surface not a biggie since ATIfs1.0
> + 6 TUs is just as capable in this regard, BUT, the ability to use GART
> memory is only possible with YCBCR_MESA and RGBA (later implies having
> X running at depth 32),

Is GART memory faster than using PBOs? Does that card support PBO
(GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object)?
I never had a card that supported YCBCR_MESA, it might be a matter of
just adding support for that in vo_gl (maybe 3 lines of code) and it
might work just as well, or have you tested that already?

> it's possible and in fact i have a code for
> this, to push pseudo RGBA data and unpack it in the ATIfs1.0 program,
> but this is needlessly convoluted and besides lacks the ability to do
> any filtering apart from GL_NEAREST

Oh, I know, I was thinking about this but did not consider it worth
implementing (even though it would work on my old TNT2 card).

> As it stand this vo_rv280 is faster than anything, XV included, and by
> a large margin:

I don't doubt it, but I _severely_ doubt this could not be integrated
into vo_gl with less than half the effort required to implement all the stuff
you left out because you don't need it (panscan, xinerama, ASS
subtitles, coloured/transparent subtitles, -geometry support, possibly
more).
Those missing features are not a big issue but I just would avoid yet
another vo like vo_sdl that hardly anyone uses and has rotten so much
that just 10 minutes of testing finds at least 5 bugs.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger