[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo changes

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Apr 5 20:30:51 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:48:31PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 19:19 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:55:14PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > Here are the latest libvo changes. They add the basics of a new VO
> > > driver API and convert vo_xv to use it.
> >
> > I did not really look at the new part yet, but the changes to vo_vesa
> > and vo_svga now pass all controls on to vidix instead of just the
> > equalizer ones.
>
> They passed all controls to vidix before too. I only removed the now
> unnecessary special-casing of the equalizer controls and let them use
> the simple general forwarding case (which did exist before).

Yes, I imagined a + before that line...

> > > video_out.c: Clean up some code
> >
> > That's a bad commit message. I _think_ those are only cosmetics, if so
> > please say so explicitly.
>
> IIRC that commit changes code formatting and renames a variable. IMO
> "clean up" tells clearly enough that the commit should not contain
> functionality changes.

¨Cosmetics" is means "only changed whitespace etc. that is just
impossible to get wrong".
"Clean up" can mean all kinds of things, some of them - while really
trivial - have quite a high chance of messing up.
And e.g. changing malloc + memset to calloc for me falls clearly under a
"clean up" change, if it is a functional change probably could be made a
long discussion.

> Do you want a clearer distinction between "does
> not change functionality" and "unlikely to change compiler output at
> all"? I'm not sure when you'd care about that when reading the commit
> log.

I very much care about whether when searching for a regression I have to
check this commit or not.