[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo changes

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Apr 6 00:27:32 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 20:30 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:48:31PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > IIRC that commit changes code formatting and renames a variable. IMO
> > "clean up" tells clearly enough that the commit should not contain
> > functionality changes.
>
> ¨Cosmetics" is means "only changed whitespace etc. that is just
> impossible to get wrong".
> "Clean up" can mean all kinds of things, some of them - while really
> trivial - have quite a high chance of messing up.
> And e.g. changing malloc + memset to calloc for me falls clearly under a
> "clean up" change, if it is a functional change probably could be made a
> long discussion.

I don't think any changes are really "impossible" to get wrong - you
could always have forgotten previous changes left in an editor buffer
before you do the real change, or you could accidentally delete a
non-blank line too when you thought you were only doing whitespace
changes.

> > Do you want a clearer distinction between "does
> > not change functionality" and "unlikely to change compiler output at
> > all"? I'm not sure when you'd care about that when reading the commit
> > log.
>
> I very much care about whether when searching for a regression I have to
> check this commit or not.

But I'm still not sure whether the content of the commit actually was
something you'd think you "have to" check. Of course the message could
describe the changes in more detail, but then that could get tedious if
there are lots of trivial changes.