[MPlayer-dev-eng] Gui testing on bigendian

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Mon May 7 17:18:25 CEST 2007

On Mon, 07 May 2007 10:16:11 +0200, Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 12:11:30AM +0000, SciFi wrote:

>> > Well, most importantly if it looked alright with libpng, then which
>> > colours get replaced by which, and lastly try
>> > before, after or instead of the swab() in gui/bitmap.c, line 160.
>> > Alternatively, if someone fixes the old code using libpng to work for
>> > remote X with differing endianness I could check myself ;-)
>>
>> eww here too on ppc darwin/osx  ;)
>
> Well, could someone please deny or confirm that it worked before with
> libpng?

I recently mentioned somewhere (probably in a bug-report as a side
issue) that gmplayer was working fine on Apple's X11, and that I
was able to see many nice skins and some ugly ones as well.
I ended up liking Blue the best and left it in my
~/.mplayer/gui.conf -- so I *know* it was working fine a few weeks
ago, albeit rather tiny on this 23-inch Cinema HD display.  ;)

>> would a screen-grab help?
>
> At least it wouldn't hurt.

We could compare how different platforms & patches in the area of
the code you mentioned are behaving this way.  Do we need to
upload them to incoming/ or just as a quick file-attachment to the
list here?

>> I can also try your memmove thing there...
>
> Also try removing the bgr2rgb. Not that with the blue skin only about
> half of the Gui should have broken colours, and I'm only interested
> about how to fix those, ignore if it breaks anything that is working
> with the current code.

The Blue skin looks almost like a 'negative' to me, but not
consistently that way, and it seems to be more complex now that I
study it more.  The middle round part ring is pink, as is most of
the bent rectangular area.  There are bluish areas around the
play/stop/ff/rew buttons that eat into the pink round ring,
probably the pixels that should actually be 'transparent'.  The
outer border (background?) is bright yellow.  Well, it's easy to
have OSX run Grab.app even on X11 windows here, so please hollar
where we should put 'em up for a quick view.

The big 'base' window with the big blue play button and purpley
(lavendar?) background looks normal IIRC.

> [...]
>> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> That's no problem I think. But the gui code is a mess, it does not work
> over untrusted ssh forwarding either. IOW, it was programmed with the
> same stupid assumptions like -vo x11, completely ignoring remote X and
> other interesting configurations...

I'm just happy we have a cross-platform GUI here working complete
with skins.  ;)

> [...]
>> (<unknown>:11827): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image
>> loader: Image type 'xpm' is not supported
>
> Built GDK without XPM support??

That warning didn't show up until the recent gnome updates.  I did
build them in sequence of dependencies, then built mplayer on top
of all that.  Will be monitoring those maillists to see what's
going on.  Those updates have already affected two well-used apps.

> Greetings,
> Reimar Doeffinger

Thanks.