[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Sven Gothel sgothel at jausoft.com
Sat May 5 00:05:39 CEST 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 at 10:55, Rich Felker wrote:
> Let's keep flames in the other thread if we can. Here I want to
> discuss the original question, MPlayer's default/preference.
>
> In summary, the pro-ALSA side seems to have the following reasons for
> wanting ALSA to be default:

How about the behavior, where using an OSS device will block other
applications to use the same (if it's not a hardware mixer one,
allowing multiple streams ..).

Using ALSA on a desktop system which apps uses ALSA as well
is the most compatible solution here .. in my experience.
Else, as I mentioned, other apps are blocked, till OSS frees it,
or the other way around.

So, in this ALSA environment, using ALSA is a must.
Who ever's fault this is ..

Cheers, Sven
--
health & wealth