[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Sat May 5 14:55:47 CEST 2007

Hi Thomas Orgis!

 On 2007.05.05 at 14:07:58 +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote next:

> I guess you'd like to rephrase to "what a crappy onboard chip";-)

No, I just meant that it supports a lot.

> > Audigy 2ZS p16v device (the only way to get higher than 48khz and
> > bit-accurate playback):
> > $ mpg123 -a hw:0,4 -v -v jjj_19.mp3
> [empty table]
>
> Uh... so I'd have to add 96KHz to the table to see some hardware support?

No point in doing it. It can take any frequency. It doesn't resample
44.1, 48k and 96k and resamples everything else, though.

> But then, will it do stereo or only surround?

only surround

> Hm, looking at specs... the card doesn't even support 16bit samples, eh?

sure

> That's indeed sad, as a 44100Hz file won't sound like 96000Hz when

That usb card can actually eat any frequency too! And without
resampling. It can be opened in 32khz mode and will output 32khz
signal to my DAC which will be bit-exact.

> But when you purchase an Audigy 2ZS for the laptop (perhaps I'll get something

It's not laptop.. And I really suggest you not to buy creative products,
especially if you want audio.

> similar in future, even), it's possibly more about recording/authoring than
> listening to your mp3 colleciton.
> There I'd use 24bit and highest rate only anyway.

I listen to 24bit/48khz or 24bit/96khz and only to flac files that I
encoded myself ;)

--

Vladimir